Thursday, January 16, 2014

How to get the Correct Size When Felting Crochet Slippers



A great question from +David Haylett 


Q: David Haylett


Hi +Lydia Hamilton I am not very good at this sort of thing but my partner is and I do like fashion, whether vintage or home made (my partner is currently heavily into sewing). My question is how do you get the fit and shape right, as I assume it must be difficult? Sorry for the long verbose question but I love your hobbit slippers.

felted crochet slippers by moss crochet





Hi +David Haylett, Thanks for getting in touch.

It hasn't been easy, but I've been slowly creating a pattern based on a pair of slippers a made approximately a year ago (I'll never NOT write down a pattern again).

My pattern calls for a swatch to be made as per usual with hook size and yarn requirements. The pattern also calls for the  swatch to be felted. If the felted swatch matches the gauge requirements, then the pattern should come to the appropriate size.

In addition to this, one can felt the slipper in increments as to make sure it's the right size or even to modify the pattern's intended size.

My patterns are based on pretty heavily felted processing, so it would be hard to over-felt (but not impossible) to come out with a slightly smaller version than the pattern indicates.

Lastly, there's some stretch while the slipper is still wet and newly felted and it can be molded  with your hands from the insides to the shape, and to some degree the size, you desire.

I hope this helps!

All the best,
Lydia


#feltingcrochet, #feltedcrochet, #feltedslippers, #felting #crochetslippers

No comments: