Saturday, December 21, 2013

Crocheting With Twine

Crocheting with twine is a finger work out that's worth it. You can make amazingly simple yet beautiful containers that are also functional. The examples shown below are all single crochet. You start by creating a flat round for the bottom and then discontinue any increases and work in rounds of the same number of stitches until you reach the desired height. I use three in my bathroom to organize toiletries and another larger one for crochet projects in progress.


large crochet bowl made out of hemp using single crochet

Hemp Twine

Crochet twine bowl looks beautiful with the light shining through.

I love the look of the light shining through the holes and the fuzziness of the twine. It kind of reminds me of some kind of sea anemone. I'm not sure what it is made of. I picked up a giant spool of it from Home Depot for around $12.00

Tight weave twine crocheted container can be used to hold all sorts of odds and ends.


I never managed to get the uniformity I've seen on pinterest and such. I'm guessing it's because I didn't use crafting hemp skeins which to my mind were exorbitantly priced. My hemp twine came from a small garden shop for $4 a pop, a fraction of the price of Michael's offerings. It varies quite a bit in terms of size of string, hence the variations in the finished project. Definitely go with a craft specific hemp if you are after a more polished look. 

No comments: